Regular physical activity is beneficial for cancer survivors and has been shown to improve health-related quality of life, physical function, fatigue, and depression. THRIVE is a no-fee, 6-month research study that provides adolescent and young adult cancer survivors with tools to increase their physical activity levels and stay healthy.
Brought to you by researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Wake Forest University, THRIVE is a unique physical activity program being conducted in Chapel Hill, NC and the surrounding areas. You will receive a Fitbit activity tracker to help you achieve your physical activity goals and you’ll receive weekly tailored email feedback from a health coach. The program is also designed to help you connect with other cancer survivors through a secret Facebook group. In addition, it provides an opportunity to participate in important research to help us understand more about ways to increase physical activity in adolescent and young adult cancer survivors.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible if you:
- Are currently age 18-39 years old
- Were diagnosed with cancer (excluding basal cell skin cancer) at age 15 or older
- Are 0 to 10 years post active cancer treatment (i.e., current hormonal treatments or maintenance therapies are permissible)
- Are not currently exercising more than 150 minutes per week
- Are not currently participating in another physical activity or weight control program
- Are able to speak, read and write English
- Have access to the Internet and computer on at least a weekly basis
- Have an Internet e-mail address or are willing to sign up for a free email account
*Additional eligibility criteria apply.
We are no longer recruiting for this study. Thank you for your interest!
What are the benefits of participating in THRIVE?
Research shows that regular physical activity after cancer treatment may be beneficial for cancer survivors and may help to improve quality of life, physical function, fatigue, and depression. This program provides information to help you learn healthy strategies to increase your physical activity. You will receive a Fitbit activity tracker (valued at $100) to track your physical activity.
Throughout the program you may benefit by receiving:
- Professional expertise (nutritionists, exercise physiologists, health educators, psychologists) and information to help you adopt strategies for increasing your physical activity
- Personalized feedback on your physical activity levels
- Social support in a secret Facebook group from other adolescent and young adult cancer survivors
THRIVE is provided to you free of charge. You may also receive up to $60 in compensation for completing assessment measures and questionnaires. In addition, you can learn and adopt strategies that will help you become more physically active, improve your health, and prevent disease. These new habits can help you promote a healthier future!
By participating in this study, you contribute to program development for other adolescent and young adult cancer survivors who may find it challenging to be active.
Congratulations on taking this first step towards a healthier future!
If you would like to learn more about the THRIVE study, please contact us at 919-966-5852 or email email@example.com.
This study has been reviewed by the IRB (Study #17-0721).